Sunday 20 August 2017

A Brush With a Woman : Solo Exhibition Opening September 1st, 2018

 Framed Owl watercolour from the new collection
To be on show in my solo exhibition in September 2018

My collection of  new watercolours have returned from the framers and were all beautifully wrapped  for transporting to my studio. Today was the day I had planned to get to work unwrapping each piece, measuring, pricing and ensuring the titles were all listed in preparation for my solo show.

I often think we walk into galleries to admire art whilst the work  behind the scenes is really what needs admiration. Months of  creating are what forms the basis for a collection. Then the framing choices for each piece has to be right. In most of my shows all my paintings are usually presented in white wooden frames which show off the freshness of watercolour as a medium. But  I feel certain subjects demand far more from a frame. The above owl painting I know is one of my favourite paintings to date. The eye is special. Wildlife quite often looks wonderful in wood or darker frames and this piece was sheer joy to unwrap this morning. It looks stunning in our home so part of me is already thinking " keep it!".  But it will go in the exhibition as it has been used on the gallery invitation and been included in promotional features.

When I looked at all the wrapped paintings this morning my heart sank a little as the sun was shining outside and I would have loved to have worked in my garden. I also know tomorrow I will be sat at my computer  for most of the day working through the many emails I have received  asking about my UK workshops next year. Today I had no time to go through them and I know I have promised to reply to everyone on Monday, tomorrow.

So I reluctantly got on with my task of carrying each painting to be unwrapped, measured,priced and then re wrapped ready for the show. Soon I was feeling that heady excitement an artist often feels when they see their collection together. It does look  so beautiful and there are many " favourite pieces" in the collection. I will give a few sneak previews on my blog over the next few days, as time allows, for those who can't get to the gallery.

For now, just a few more paintings need to be unwrapped. A job well worth doing and I cannot wait for the 1st September when the collection will  be on show for the first time.

If you would like to come, meet me or have a book signed I will be at the gallery on the evening of Friday 1st September from 5.30 -8.00 p.m . I will also be at the gallery on Saturday morning 2nd September. for a coffee morning so everyone is welcome !

Here is a link to the gallery, please contact them for full information regarding the show or for your invitation to the Friday Preview event. 





Almost finished! Checking frames of paintings for my solo show


*********************

No comments: