Monday 31 August 2015

King Charles Cavalier in Watercolour



King Charles Cavalier 
In Watercolour
Size 52 x 62 cms.
( Copyright Jean Haines )
£595

Waiting for an exhibition is such an exciting time. This weekend I am unwrapping work from the framers, measuring each piece and pricing my collection for my solo show which opens at The Frame Gallery in Odiham, Hampshire on September 11th. This exhibition will include all new work, unshown in a gallery before.
My collection includes wildlife, florals, landscapes and portraits. In fact the selection of work is very diverse so I think there will be something for everyone. Today in my studio I am making a few final additions to the collection as time is now running out for framing new work. I had delivered the main body of paintings for framing some time back as I like to be well prepared in advance. I am aware that the show catalogue takes valuable time so usually I am completely ready at least two weeks before the opening.

But I am having requests. 

" Will there be a badger in the exhibition ?"

"Have you got any new hare paintings?"

"Please say there is more than one fox?"

"You will have a dog painting in the show won't you?"

The answer to all of the above questions is yes!

Including the little King Charles Cavalier above. This is based on Peter our neighbours little dog. But if you look at Page 118 in my latest book "Jean Haines World of Watercolour" you will see how this piece started. Its in the chapter " Working Loose and Getting It Right" . This was a fabulous section of my new book to write as it looks at where to start when working in a loose style, how to add definition and putting all you know together to form a complete composition. It was a joy to write.

I loved the start of this dog painting so much that adding the definition was delightful.

The inspiration?

When we first moved to our cottage I heard a gentleman in a nearby field calling for "Peter". I assumed it was his small son that had got lost so asked if I could help find him. But no. Peter was a young King Charles Cavalier that had selective hearing. He only came when called if he wanted to. I still see Peter who hasn't changed at all. He still keeps his owner  chasing after him which is quite funny!

So Peter will be in my show and sitting still for a change!


**********************

Jean Haines World of Watercolour can be purchased via this link



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this!! What a gorgeous painting of one of the cutest breeds out there (I'm biased, I have two of these). I found your site purely by chance as I was drawn to CKC. I love this style of painting and have recently dabbled myself, but I come from a more crafting background.

I just wanted to say hi and that I'm your newest follower and can't wait to explore more of your work.
Hugs
Georgie
xx