Monday 3 June 2013

Learning To Walk

Beautiful Veronica Flowers in a soft watercolour

Ever since I broke  my ankle I have had to learn new things every day. At first I had to learn to overcome the pain and discomfort.  I also had to learn to let go of my independance as I have needed help doing even the smallest of  daily tasks.  For example I can make myself a cup of tea but I can't carry it anywhere while balancing on crutches! It will also be some time before I am allowed to drive. But each day small steps in the right healing direction have boosted my soul and confidence so much.

My accident and what it has taught me really has been such a positive outcome for my life as it is  today. For a start I realise what a fabulous husband I have as nothing has been too much trouble for him and not once has he complained about his new role of carer.

But I also have stopped and looked at a white piece of paper each day and imagined what painting is like for the beginner or the artist who is frustrated at things not going how they want them to. Everything we do in life builds from the earliest, small baby steps, every new skill you try and sometimes even gaining back lost skills, lost for whatever reason. I am going to have to learn to walk again. Something I took completely for granted. Of course I know how to walk but putting my foot down in exactly the right way isn't quite as simple as I thought it would be. It isn't co-operating without a lot of encouragement from me!

Isn't that like starting out in watercolour. We know what we want to achieve but things don't always go as we planned at the outset. The main secret to any skill we learn really is not to give up when the going gets tough and to practise as much as possible. I have loved painting the Veronica flowers so much and each time I start a fresh painting it is better than the last. I am learning all about my subjects' colour, form and even "feel" because it is so delicate and that is what I am trying to portray in my results.

Learning to stand on my own, and walk again will take time, patience and determination. But I know this.  I know that if you want something in life badly enough you will get it. So if you are on the point of giving up or feeling disheartened with anything in life , take  baby steps to achieving your goal and guess what. You will get there. Like me. 

But maybe we should put off running until we are absolutely ready!!

Artist Tip of the Day : Never Give up and don't run before you can walk!

No comments: