Wednesday 1 February 2012

Winsor & Newton Watercolours: Rose

A soft rose worked with shades from the Winsor & Newton Watercolour range

With St Valentines Day approaching I felt like a break to close my working session this afternoon so chose a rose as my subject to unwind from painting.

The main colour in this  study is Alizarin Crimson used very softly and heavily diluted. I have also used Opera Rose to create soft shadows  on the underside of the petals.

Cadmium Yellow worked away from the flower and with a touch of  Cobalt Blue gave me my green for the sepals which I thoroughly enjoyed painting. Obviously the yellow and red/pink shades have created a warm glow when allowed to merge on paper to form the backdrop.

This really was so much fun to paint.

I have worked with Winsor & Newton products for years as they suit my style particularly when building up a painting in layers. 

********************



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This rose is absolutely beautiful! I really appreciate it that you described the colors and how you used them. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with the rest of us. I look forward to reading your blog every morning with my coffee-a great way to start the day!

Best regards,
Sher

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello Sher

I enjoyed the development of this soft painting and loved sharing it,

Sometimes you gain a feeling of such peaceful happinness when creating a watercolour that you want to share that emotion with the whole world,

By placing my work on my blog I hope I share a tiny part of how I feel when I am moving my brushes.

Thank you for such a wonderful reply

Jean