Saturday 4 February 2012

Inspiration From Small Studies: Winsor &Newton Opera Rose

The small study leads to larger  compositions.

I enjoyed the small floral study from yesterday so much that I knew today I would be taking the same idea as a foundation for a larger composition. I have energetic brush work in this piece flowing in a variety of directions. 

I have a wide variety of shades here and the Winsor& Newton Opera Rose is coming into its own as a fantastic shade either on its own in sections or as an aditional layer of colour on top of  quieter areas to add drama. I have also used it as a warm, softening effect on petals in my main flowers of the painting. Cadmium Violet adds shadow whilst Cadmium Yellow adds sunshine.  There is a strong central line which is giving me a focal point to work away from and my imagination is already telling me to work on both sides of the line in opposite methods.

From that one small painting yesterday I have a million ideas to work on.

***************

Artists Tip: Never throw scraps of paper away. Use them for exercises that may end up in the bin or framed. But whatever the result, learn from every piece of white paper you cover with colour.

2 comments:

ANAIS G. BURGOS said...

Simple fantastic..
Thanks for sharing :)

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Thank you so much. I am thrilled you like this.

Jean