Thursday 21 January 2010

Spring Fever

Everywhere I look there are signs of Spring. Snowdrops are eagerly pushing shoots up in an attempt to  be the first flower to show its' face this year. Our village florist already has a wonderful selection of my favourite flowers to paint. Spoilt for choice  I decided eventually on a small posy and  they soon became a magical   flowing composition in my studio.


Spring Posy
Watercolour study in composition and light

The coming months will be a favourite time of year for me. I adore painting flowers but the challenge is always to  do so in a way that makes them seem as though they could actually be moving in a breeze.Or possibly  you could imagine their sweet perfume as you looked at the results. It is never enough for me to simply capture the subject. It has to look as though it has life in it.

I will add each favourite flower to my blog over the Spring Season and hope you enjoy the flowers as they appear.

I am not alone in  my passion for the flowers of Spring.One fan of my work  in particular always seems to be in the way when I am working.

Here she is admiring a painting of a daffodil as it begins to form in watercolour.





Daffodil painting developing watched eagerly by a fan.  
Biscuit, my cat!


*****************************

5 comments:

Jan said...

Absolutely wonderful! Wish I lived closer to take a class with you! Love your work. JanP

brincrish said...

I really love the way you paint. I will enjoy keeping a watch for the flowers. i find them quite difficult to do. Wish I lived closer to take a class with you!
Brinda

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello Jan,wouldn't that be great! At least over a computer screen we can share paintings and ideas. Thank you for leaving a comment Jan,its great to know you were here.

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello Brinda,thank you so much. I adore painting flowers.Spring is such a great time of year to feel alive and capture them in watercolour.

I will look forward to sharing more and seeing how you feel about them. Its great to meet you even if it is only online. Have a great day and thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.It is wonderful to know the flowers were seen and enjoyed.

JANE MINTER said...

look at biscuit :) fantastic jean love the composition so delicate

jane